Xena E-Xine Volume 2, Issue 9 S X Meagher Interview Issue, XWP Uber Fanfic Bard

 THE XENA E-XINE - S X Meagher Issue - July 9, 200


      

            THE XENA E-XINE - S X Meagher Issue

            Volume II, Issue 9 - July 9, 2001

            ========================================================


            Today's issue includes:


            1. Feature Article -- INTERVIEW WITH S X MEAGHER

            2. Xena quote/Xena Joke

            3. Featured FanFic and Short Review -- Rekindling the Spark --

            Surrender, Xena and Xena Surrenders -- I Found My Heart in San

            Francisco

            4. Xena News -- THE UPROAR -- What Will Fill Lesbians' Xena Void

            And

            Deliver Devoted TV Viewers?

            5. Featured Xena Links -- S X Meagher's website - Jane Doe Press

            6. Xena: Warrior Princess Episode Guide -- A Necessary Evil -- A Day

            in the Life

            7. The Journey of the Hero -- Joe Campbell on Myth-making

            8. The Top 20 Essential Xena Episodes

            9. Polls

            10. Feedback

            11. PRIVACY/NO SPAM POLICY!

            12. Subscribe/Unsubscribe Information

            13. Credits

            14. Archives

            15. DISCLAIMER


            ========================================================

            Shameless Advertising


            Music

            Xena: Warrior Princess -- Original TV Soundtrack

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000014ZN/thexenaexine>

            $13.49

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000014ZN/thexenaexine


            Xena: Warrior Princess -- Original TV Soundtrack Volume 2

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000152X/thexenaexine>

            $13.99

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000152X/thexenaexine/104-

            2418456-8009500


            Xena: Warrior Princess -- Original TV Soundtrack Volume 6

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LMK2/thexenaexine>

            $18.97 + FREE Shipping

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LMK2/thexenaexine


            Movies

            Peach/A Bitter Song <http://www.vstore.com/cgi-

            bin/pagegen/evisionstore/1217690/page.html?

            mode=products&file=/page/itempagev4/itempage.spl&prodID=736181&catID=8

            562> (VHS) $16.99

            http://www.vstore.com/cgi-http://www.vstore.com/cgi-

            bin/pagegen/evisionstore/1217690/page.html?

            mode=products&file=/page/itempagev4/itempage.spl&prodID=736181&catID=8

            562


            DVD

            Xena Warrior Princess: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TVUB/thexenaexine>

            $16.99

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TVUB/thexenaexine/104-

            2418456-8009500


            Peach/A Bitter Song <http://www.vstore.com/cgi-

            bin/pagegen/evisionstore/1217690/page.html?

            mode=products&file=/page/itempagev4/itempage.spl&prodID=928098&catID=8

            562> (DVD) $16.99

            http://www.vstore.com/cgi-bin/pagegen/evisionstore/1217690/page.html?

            mode=products&file=/page/itempagev4/itempage.spl&prodID=928098&catID=8

            562


            Toys

            Breyer Xena's Horse Argo (Palomino)

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003654H/thexenaexine>

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003654H/thexenaexine/104-

            2418456-8009500


            ========================================================

            1) Featured Article


            INTERVIEW WITH S X MEAGHER

            By Bacchae2

            Interview questions by Bacchae2 and Lady Adrell


            You have to love a bard in your own contemporary class that can

            remember precisely what it felt like, in retrospect, to be 

gloriously

            21 and alive and in love and set it in the present moment. It's a

            vicarious thrill (and that includes the deliciously, unabashedly

            erotic scenes as well, of course). SX has kept me up way too late

            into the wee hours of the morn (5 am once!...but I had to keep

            reading until Jamie finally left her fiancé for Ryan, couldn't go

            to

            sleep with that state of affairs continuing) with this amazing and

            compelling epic. The bard assured me that she knew just how I felt

            too and that she also stayed up late writing those scenes because 

she

            couldn't stand to have her with him. It would have disturbed her

            sleep as well.


            You have to love the sweet play of words turnaround of the ultimate

            S.F. sentiment in song--"I Found My Heart in San Francisco." And you

            (or I) really have to love a fellow survivor of Catholic school

            and "scathingly brilliant" Hayley Mills fan. (SX: "Actually, "The

            Trouble with Angels" was written about the school I went to in

            Chicago. I'm an 18 year veteran of catholic schools--so I've had all

            of the indoctrination possible.")


            And sharing the same past where the songs that really touch us are

            concerned: one thing that actually brought me to tears was the

            inclusion of one of my favorite theatrical songs and one that has

            always popped into my head as a perfect statement of the X&G 

soulmate

            relationship...Sondheim and Bernstein's great, lyrical love song and

            betrothal hymn "One Hand, One Heart." (SX: "The only bad thing about

            that song is that it needs another verse--it's just too short!")

            She's a wise woman. Bless the Irish.


            And most of all, you have to love a bard that keeps on giving to 

feed

            this addiction. This is a long, detailed, day-by-day, passionate

            journey...dive in and enjoy.


            EXINE: This is probably an obnoxious question by now, though

            inevitable with such a finely detailed uber, but how much is

            autobiographical--I will confine myself<g> to the setting, the 

sports

            background, the ethnicity (obvious), and the large family.


            S X: I am of Irish descent, and was raised as a Roman Catholic.

            Regrettably, I don't now, nor have I ever, lived in San

            Francisco. I

            am, however, deeply in love with it <s>. I played all of the sports

            Ryan and Jamie play - but in the very distant past, and I didn't

            play

            any of them as well as Ryan does on a very bad day. My family of

            origin is quite small, but my father had four brothers and two

            sisters, so I suppose that counts as a large family - one generation

            removed.


            EXINE: Did you submit your novel(s) as they are online or were you

            discovered for publication through their popularity via word of

            mouth?


            S X: I didn't submit my novel for publication until I was asked

            to by

            the fine folks at Jane Doe Press (shameless plug <s>). So, I suppose

            the answer is that it was word of mouth.


            EXINE: This ongoing uber is positively Dickensian in scope, how much

            do they want you to edit for publication?


            S X: One of the things I like best about JDP is that since the

            principals are authors, they understand and respect my vision for my

            story. So, they haven't set any hard rules about story length.

            Obviously, the posted version of Book 1 would be far too large to 

fit

            into any form of binding <s>, so it will be condensed. But I'm

            quite

            confident that the finished product will be superior to the posted

            version.


            I've just finished my first draft, and I like the story much

            better

            than the posted version. I didn't know my characters very well

            when I

            posted Book 1. After all, I'd only been speaking with them for

            450

            pages <s>. But now, after writing over 3,000 pages, I see things in

            the posted version of Book 1 that seem out-of-character. Re-writing

            the book allows me to correct anything that seems off to me.


            EXINE: Are you fully conscious when writing of those smile producing

            bits of homage to your list of favorite fanfic bards (Missy Good, LJ

            Maas, e.g.) that you include, often as amusing asides?


            S X: I include amusing asides? Me? Honestly, I can only remember

            doing that once, and it was a Missy reference. I really love LJ's

            work, though. Maybe it's an unconscious homage <s>.


            EXINE: Whatever possessed you...let me rephrase that...how long had

            you harbored the fascinating vision of writing an interconnected

            novel length story for every letter of the alphabet? It is a feat

            that reminds me of the author who wrote a rather lengthy novel

            without using the letter E.


            S X: I didn't really decide to write a novel for each letter of

            the

            alphabet. I did, however, decide, about two years ago, to write a

            novel, and continue to write until I had said everything I could

            possibly think to write about the characters. I honestly thought 

that

            would be five or six hundred pages. When I hit 1,000, I started to

            think that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but I just kept

            going-moderation isn't my middle name <s>. I decided to name the

            installments alphabetically just because it seemed easier <s>. When 

I

            started posting, people assumed I was going to keep going through 

the

            alphabet - so I decided I might as well. Actually, at this point I 

do

            have the story blocked out until `Z', so I guess I can pull

            it off. I

            had toyed with the idea of having both of my very aged leads die in

            the final installment, but recent events have convinced me that

            wouldn't be a good idea <lol>. They'll be fit, healthy,

            sexually

            active, and full of life as we fade out.


            EXINE: When do you see yourself finishing this remarkable

            project...since you obviously write quickly as well as voluminously

            (a most enviable trait)?


            S X: I've posted nine installments, and have drafts in various

            stages

            for 10-13. It takes me about two months to write a first draft - but

            I need to take a break after finishing one. So, I suppose it will

            take me another one and a half to two years to post the entire

            series.


            EXINE: What set you off on this project? Was it mostly the

            inspiration of the online fanfic material or did the original models

            of the characters get inside your head, as they do with many of us,

            uber writers or otherwise, and not let go until you found yourself

            committed to get them down in black and white?


            S X: The first three pieces of fanfic I read were A Warrior By Any

            Name, by Melissa Good, A Bard's Days Night, by DJWP, and Lucifer

            Rising, by Sharon Bowers. I read those pieces at the same time I

            discovered the show, so I'd say that fanfic influenced me to

            write

            much more than the show did. After reading those exceptional works, 

I

            decided that I had to take a stab at it, and after a few months to

            develop a set of characters, and write their biographies, I was 

ready

            to go. Once I started to write, however, the images of Xena and

            Gabrielle settled in my head, and slowly morphed into my younger,

            more muscular, taller, and more psychologically healthy <s>

            characters. Well, Ryan's more psychologically healthy than Xena.

            I'm

            not sure that's true for Jamie. I think Gabrielle's pretty

            darned

            healthy - given all that she's been through.


            EXINE: Do you feel that the initial inspiration provided by that

            grande romantic friendship depicted in X:WP has been responsible for

            a flourishing renaissance in lesbian letters?


            S X: Absolutely. I was so bored by lesbian fiction before I started

            to read Xena fanfic, that I had generally stopped buying it. I'm

            constantly amazed by the creativity of a group of generally first-

            time authors - who have explored this genre with a depth and breadth

            that truly astounds.


            EXINE: Are you consciously in any way writing a distaff answer to 

the

            popular S.F. picaresque serialized novels of Armistead Maupin, 

"Tales

            of the City"?


            S X: Be still my heart! I've read each of those novels at least

            six

            times, and if there's any element of my writing that bears the

            slightest resemblance to his, I'd be overjoyed.


            EXINE: Do your young ubers Ryan and Jamie both share aspects of your

            character and personality; are they partly based on any other people

            you've known (as well, of course, as the physical and other

            attributes portrayed by X&G)?


            S X: I have all of Ryan's faults (yes, she does too, have some!),

            as

            well as all of her quirks. For some reason, it's hard for me to

            create quirks out of thin air - so I use the one's I have.

            Regrettably, the only physical resemblance between us is that my 

hair

            was once black <s>.


            There are bits and pieces of myself, my partner, and various people

            I've known scattered among the characters. My partner has a lot

            of

            Jamie's best attributes, and she often tells me I'm being

            `Ryanish' -

            and it's not always a compliment <g>. Strangely, the more evil

            the

            character, the more likely that they are based on people I've

            known.

            Psychic justice, perhaps?


            EXINE: Have you ever written any stories, short or novel length,

            before? I think it's interesting to know why people decide to write 

a

            story when they've never done it before. And if it isn't your first

            time, what else have you written and when was that?


            S X: The first words of IFMHISF are the first words of fiction I

            wrote. I'm not sure why, but I was never motivated to write

            before I

            started reading fan fic. I have friends who have spent years trying

            to get their work published - and they were quite beaten down by

            rejection letter after rejection letter. I was quite unaware of the

            fanfic/slash flooding the Internet, but once I learned of it, I

            really wanted to participate. It seemed accessible, it was very

            lesbian friendly, and it was obvious that there was a very rabid fan

            base.


            Some people seem to think that fiction posted on the Internet is

            somehow "less than" commercially published fiction. For me,

            it's been

            more rewarding than a royalty check could ever make up for. I've

            met

            some really great people, I get lots and lots of supportive fan 

mail,

            and I get to enjoy the interaction with people who've enjoyed the

            story. I doubt that most writers get that kind of immediate 

feedback,

            and that's worth a lot to me. The reason I post my story is to

            reach

            people on an emotional level, and the feedback I get tells me where

            I've succeeded, and where I've failed. It's very helpful.


            EXINE: When you were first approached by JDP about publishing your

            story, what went through your mind? Were you shocked, excited,

            flabbergasted, elated, nervous, confused, cool with it, or

            nonchalant? What was your reaction?


            S X: When I was first approached by JDP, I was really pleased.

            It's

            always nice to have someone say they admire your work, and when that

            someone has the ability to publish it - it's twice as nice <s>.

            The

            more I learned about the company, their philosophy, their business

            model, and their marketing plans - the more excited I got. It's

            been

            a very happy partnership so far - and I expect that we'll have a

            long, mutually beneficial relationship.


            S X Meagher, also known as Susan in the real world, wanted to say a

            few words to the bards of the Xenaverse as well as to those people

            who have supported her in her creative endeavor. Take it away Susan!


            S X: I'd really like to thank all of the people who've given

            so

            generously of their time and talent to provide so many of us with

            hours and hours of enjoyment. I would never have tried my own hand

            at writing without the inspiration of the wonderful stories 

centering

            around Xena and Gabrielle, and their uber incarnations. I've

            read a

            lot of fanfic in my time, and I've found something to enjoy about

            each and every piece I've read. Very few people make much, if

            any,

            money from these endeavors. They do it merely to express what's

            in

            their hearts - and that's a wonderful gift for all of us

            who've

            shared the bond of affection for a very innovative television show.

            I'd really like to thank all of my very supportive fans (that

            sounds

            like the opening to an Oscar acceptance speech, doesn't it?), for

            their generous praise, and helpful feedback. It means a lot to me to

            hear from people who have enjoyed my work. Writing for the Internet

            can be pretty lonely. I'm lucky in that I have some very helpful

            beta readers, who give me a lot of detailed feedback. But most

            people who write don't get that kind of input. The only way they

            know how a story is received is if they hear from the people

            who've

            read it once it's posted. It's the people who are posting

            their

            first story or poem that really need that reaction. So, the next

            time you read something from a first-time bard, take a moment and

            write him or her a quick note. It means so much to a neophyte bard

            to know that their hard work didn't fall into a black hole

            somewhere.

            The publication of IFMHISF is going well. I'm very happy with

            the

            progress I'm making, but it's far too early to be able to

            predict

            when it will be published. All I know for sure is that it won't

            go

            to print until I and Jane Doe Press have made the book as good as we

            can make it. I'm sure people would rather wait a bit to read the

            best output we can offer - and that's our mutual goal. Head on

            over

            to <http://www.janedoepress.com/> for updates on the progress of the

            book. ¨


            ========================================================

            2) Xena Quote/Xena Joke


            Xena Quote


            "My ideals were a lie. I thought love was the strongest power on

            earth. What a fool. Love is helpless in the face of cruelty."

            Gabrielle in "Return of Callisto."


            Xena Joke


            "Antony and Cleo".....Don't asp, don't tell

            "A Solstice Carol"......Don't ass, don't tell

            "The Return of Callisto" (wedding)....Don't apse, don't tell

            "Giant Killer".............Don't ax, don't tell

            "A Friend In Need"......................Don't ash, don't tell


            ========================================================

            3) Featured Fan Fiction By S X Meagher


            Reviewed by Bacchae2


            "Rekindling the Spark"

            by SX Meagher

            http://www.sxmeagher.com/Rekindling_the_Spark.htm


            An absolutely beautiful story. Gabrielle's first-person narrative in

            the aftermath of the distance we saw between them all through season

            five and which finally came to an impasse that threatened separation

            in Kindred Spirits. (Though Gab's ad lib of "Not tonight" in that ep

            would lead us to believe she was the one currently out of sync with

            her lover's needs.) Exquisitely written, you will find yourself

            reading it aloud. Graceful, moving, touching inner monologue as the

            bard attempts to rekindle that ineffable spark between them.

            [WARNING: Contains adult content.]


            I give "Rekindling the Spark" ***** five stars!


            =========================


            "Surrender, Xena" and "Xena Surrenders"

            by SX Meagher

            <http://www.sxmeagher.com/Surrender_Xena.htm>

            <http://www.sxmeagher.com/Xena%20Surrenders.htm>


            Maybe it's because this is the first first-time story I've read 

since

            the series came to an end...but I found hot tears rolling down my

            cheeks. These two short stories are entwined as one (ah, the 

language

            of love), but in the first part the usually stoic, emotions held

            close to the vest warrior is forced to reveal her true feelings for

            the bard by the rather hurt/comfort plot device of having been

            administered some truth serum and having Gabrielle nurse her through

            the night...with only one small drawback-- Xena tells her that the

            potion will leave her with no memory of anything they said...or did.

            Which makes the gentle, innocent, and inexperienced, though deeply

            aroused bard all the more determined to pursue and press the issue 

in

            the follow-up tale. Whatever Gabrielle wants...

            [WARNING: Contains adult content.]


            I give "Surrender, Xena" and "Xena Surrenders" both

            ***** five stars!


            =========================


            "I Found My Heart in San Francisco" *

            Book One: "Awakenings"

            by SX Meagher

            <http://www.sxmeagher.com/FanFictionlinks.htm>


            Reviewed by Sue and Bacchae:

            A charming, compelling and epic Uber all about the trials and

            tribulations of two college age women, one of whom is straight,

            engaged and naive but drawn to the worldly and very gay other. Jamie

            and Ryan become best friends, but don't want to risk ruining what

            they have by crossing that line. Angst Warning in effect for this

            first 'outing.' This one looks to be a monumental achievement as the

            author promises a book length novel for every letter of the

            alphabet! Remarkably, we are up to Book 8 now, H. (Book 9, I, is now

            currently finished.)


            Sue gives IFMHISF **** 4 stars and Bacchae gives IFMHISF ***** 5

            stars.

            *This story was first reviewed in Issue 4, Volume 2

            <http://www.xenaexine.f2s.com/v2_issue4.html>.


            Star Rating

            ***** If you're a fanfic reader, you can't miss this one!

            **** Reading this will improve your fighting skills.

            *** It's better than getting kissed by Joxer.

            ** A romp with Jox looks pretty good at this point.

            * Oh, never mind!


            ========================================================

            4) Xena News


            THE UPROAR

            By Lady Adrell


            In the aftermath of the series finale of "Xena: Warrior

            Princess",

            there has been a tremendous uproar from fans. The death of the famed

            Warrior Princess has done more to divide fan's opinions than the

            issue of the lesbian subtext.


            The opinions vary from loving the two-part series finale entitled

            "A

            Friend in Need," to absolutely hating it, with an added call to

            arms

            against the Executive Producer, Rob Tapert. Also mixed in are those

            opinions that are somewhere in between the two extremes. But whether

            you hated it or not, whether you think the death of Xena was just a

            ploy and totally unnecessary, or if you believe that it was

            Xena's

            destiny to die for the sins of those she's killed, the fact

            remains

            that Xena is dead and the show is over.


            It has been demanded by some fans that Tapert make a movie soon to

            bring Xena back. But with no talk of a TV movie for the future and

            the auctioning of the "Xena" props and costumes, it is

            unlikely that

            fans will see a reversal to the plight of the WP. The question is

            raised in light of this demand: is a "Xena" movie is really

            the

            right idea?


            "XWP" is Tapert's baby and it is unlikely that he would

            allow anyone

            else to produce a movie without him at the helm. Throughout the last

            three seasons, Tapert was responsible for doing much to decrease the

            quality of the show: first by not replacing excellent writers, like

            Steve Sears, with equally as good and competent writers, by giving

            control to two people who had no real concept of anything resembling

            Xena, and also by turning his attention elsewhere to "Cleopatra

            2525"

            and "Jack of All Trades." Should disgruntled fans really

            trust Tapert

            to set things right? After all, he was the one that made the 

decision

            to kill off Xena in the first place.


            Though I am not of the idea that Tapert should burn at the stake for

            the death of our WP in the last ep of the series, I would have done

            things much differently if I were in his shoes. But since that is 

not

            the case, fans must now turn to other means to fill the void that 

has

            been left.


            The show is in reruns on the Oxygen Network and through the summer 

on

            local stations, allowing fans the opportunity to relive their

            favorite eps over again without having to dig through their video

            collections. Although, videos are a great way to capture that 

feeling

            you once had of "XWP" without having to watch those annoying

            eps

            like "Ulysses" or "Married with Fishsticks." Also,

            the online

            Xenaverse has been in a flurry since the finale, with an over

            abundance of fanfic surging forth. New finale scenarios are being

            produced faster than Ford's assembly line autos. You want a

            different

            ending? You can then read them online or write one yourself. And the

            final means that fans have to fill that void left by the ending of

            Xena, is for fans to turn to other shows. "Dark Angel",

            "Witchblade",

            and "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" are just some of the strong

            female-

            based TV shows available for viewing. If you don't have the

            stomach

            for fanfic based on a storyline you hate and watching the reruns

            doesn't give you the same rush as they once did, turning to

            another

            show is a great way to forget about the debacle of the once highest

            rated syndicated show of it's genre.


            "Xena" had a great run while it was on the air. We fans

            should

            remember and cherish the great moments where Xena saved Gab and her

            village from slavery, Gabrielle honed her bardic skills, the girls

            lay side by side, the girls fought side by side, Xena risked it all

            to save Gab, Gab risked it all to save Xena, the kisses, the words 

of

            devotion and love, and the unbreakable bond between two soulmates

            destined to forever be together. Xena can't/won't ever die

            (however

            she can/has been mutilated). ¨


            =========================


            "What Will Fill Lesbians' Xena Void And Deliver Devoted TV

            Viewers?"

            By BRETT BRUNE <mailto:editor@...>

            ©2001 DiversityInc.com

            July 5, 2001

            <http://www.diversityinc.com/insidearticlepg.cfm?

            SubMenuID=330&ArticleID=3369&CFID=573209&CFTOKEN=54408746>


            ========================================================

            5) Featured FanFic Links


            S X Meagher's own website named after her successful series "I

            Found

            My Heart in San Francisco"

            http://www.sxmeagher.com/


            Not only will you find IFMHISF, but other great information about 

the

            bard, her characters, and updates to her story. Here is where you 

can

            find her 2 short Xena and Gab stories.


            =========================


            Jane Doe Press

            http://www.janedoepress.com


            This is the publishing house that is turning S X's very popular 

story

            into books. But don't go just for "I Found My Heart in San

            Francisco", JDP publishes other great works by well-known bards.

            Don't miss any of them.


            ========================================================

            6) Xena: Warrior Princess Episode Guide

            by Bacchae2


            Episode Thirty-eight "A Necessary Evil" and Episode

            Thirty-nine "A

            Day in the Life"


            "A Necessary Evil"

            A surprisingly fun, for all its frenetic action, follow-up to 

certain

            events in "The Quest," even through the drama of amazonian

            political

            machinations (it's Florida all over again...Velasca demands a

            recount) and Gab's fear/flight reaction to being targeted and Xena's

            very protective hurt/comfort mode ("Sacrificing you is not part of

            the plan! Not even close.") and Callisto's nasty, naughty ("We 

played

            a game of truth-or-dare. She's not very good at it.") switch-hitting

            turn as enemy/ally as she drips innuendoes by the campfire (does 

that

            woman just ooze sexual tension like a pheromone based cologne, or

            what?) Callisto is freed from Tartarus in the season three Hercules

            ep "Surprise." In that ep she becomes immortal as well as

            trapped and

            scarred. The Herc ep explains how Callisto came back to life after

            RoC ("Return of Callisto") when she had apparently 'drowned' in the

            sandpit (uncharacteristically begging Xena to save her in a 

turnabout

            of the scene in the classic novel "Lorna Doone" wherein the hero

            attempts to avenge his wife, stabbed on their wedding day, by riding

            down the former suitor and then trying to rescue him from quicksand

            while he slaps the would-be savior's hand aside...now, that would've

            been more in keeping with Callisto's frame of mind.) We do find her

            in the burned out remains of the labyrinth of the gods,

            however...with her pet rat, Hercules. Fascinating, knowing how

            Gabrielle has every reason to hate Callisto and yet feels for her

            just the same when she sees her visibly moved by Xena's public

            confession of her crime. At least Artemis is finally mentioned in

            this one, but, appropriately for this series, as an absentee 

landlady

            to the tribe. Velasca is almost as scary as Callisto...wonder why 

she

            didn't warrant a resurrection from that lava pit. Good villanesses

            are hard to find, and, apparently, to keep.


            Subtext Rating: All-girl Romp. That's some sorority...and what an

            initiation ceremony! Lightning bolts, whirlwinds, falling bridges,

            falling rocks, bungee jumps, hot lava... "Does an Amazon Queen beat 

a

            Warrior Princess?" Only if she wants her to. But I think Callisto 

and

            Velasca would be more into that. Anyway...they take the plunge

            together... into that hot lava. While our heroine rescues the bard

            once again..."Don't let go. I'm coming. Hold onto me." For

            sure. "Let's do it."


            "A Day in the Life"


            Still the favorite episode of many a fan, and with good reason.

            Perhaps, the only truly flawless show in the series. Ingeniously

            devised, beautifully scripted (by R.J.), skillfully directed (by

            Michael Hurst), playfully performed. It didn't get any better than

            this. Underplaying comedy works wonders. When eager beaver Howar 

asks

            with hopeful puppy dog eyes if Xena would ever consider settling 

down

            and getting married, Gab's proprietary little Freudian slip shows

            when she quips from lips that seem to run away with her: "No, she

            likes what I do--" Fwap. Freudian symbol for dinner, baby. Cook 'em

            up. Furthermore, Xena invents the kite and discovers electricity. 

One

            serious moment re the 'win one for the gipper,' uh, giant, Goliath

            speech, come back with your kite, not on it. The ending is sweet, 

and

            funny, and priceless. A quick kiss, filled with tender affection 

from

            the excited little bard. Did Xena let her...or not? Hit her with the

            staff, that is. Did anyone see Minya at the Melissa Etheridge

            concert? {Note: in the script of ADITL Minya's character is

            introduced by comparison to Rosie O'Donnell! as "the ultimate fan"}


            Subtext Rating: Woke up, got outta bed...dragged a cooking utensil

            across someone's head... We cannot only cook with your juices, but 

we

            can slowly simmer in the most memorable hot tub scene in TV series

            history. Truly, a High Water Mark! Bliss. You got this close, 

rubbing

            fingers together, because I let you...oh yeah...and that's not the

            soap you're sitting on... "Going to bed."


            ========================================================

            7) The Journey of the Hero

            Joe Campbell Quotes


            "The Hero as Warrior"

            The stanza of the hero-bard resounds with the magic of the word of

            power; similarly, the sword edge of the hero-warrior flashes with 

the

            energy of the creative Source.


            "The Return of the Hero"

            When the hero-quest has been accomplished, through penetration to 

the

            source, or through the grace of some male or female, human or 

animal,

            personification, the adventurer still must return with his life-

            transmuting trophy. The full round, the norm of the monomyth,

            requires that the hero shall now begin the labor of bringing the

            runes of wisdom, the Golden Fleece, or his sleeping princess, back

            into the kingdom of humanity, where the boon may redound to the

            renewing of the community, the nation, the planet, or the ten

            thousand worlds.


            Joseph Campbell on Mythology: from "The Hero With a Thousand

            Faces"

            Princeton Univ. Press, 1949


            ========================================================

            8) The Top 20 Essential Xena Episodes


            This is reprinted from the Tavern Wall.

            ----------------------------------------------------------------------

            ----------

            By Fluffsterbrian (Fluffsterbrian) on Wednesday, May

            30, 2001 - 11:03 pm:


            Rooks: On the thread about "Sins of the Past", you

            wrote:


            "Sins of the Past is a fav of mine, although not in my top 20, but

            that is largely because of the low production values. But Sins

            totally defines the series. All my favorite episodes are ones that

            remain true to the themes set out in this ep. [snip] All the best

            eps: Callisto, Ides, Crusader, Remember Nothing...just to name a 

few,

            they are all so good because they remain true to the themes set out

            in Sins."


            This brings up a distinction I think between personal *favorite*

            episodes and series *essential* episodes. On a newsgroup for the 

60's

            cult series The Prisoner, which had a definite beginning and end, it

            was mentioned that creator/star Patrick McGoohan had originally

            conceived the series as a 7 episode miniseries, but agreed to 17 eps

            instead at the request of the production company. He since has

            revealed which 7 of the 17 were his originally intended core eps.


            This got me to thinking: If, instead of a 20 favorite episodes list

            for Xena, you had to choose 20 essential eps in which to tell the

            story of the series, which 20 would you pick?


            Omitting entire arcs is permitted, btw, if the continuity still 

makes

            some sense, and no eps after "Many Happy Returns" are permitted (to

            keep this

            spoiler-free).


            In my next post, I will attempt my own challenge, and I know I will

            end up omitting many favorites in order to keep to the 20 ep

            maximum.


            Who will join me?


            Reply by Fluffsterbrian


            The series in 20 essential episodes:


            1. Sins of the Past

            2. Hooves & Harlots

            3. Callisto

            4. Orphan of War

            5. Return of Callisto

            6. Destiny

            7. The Quest

            8. A Day in the Life

            9. The Deliverer

            10. Gabrielle's Hope

            11. Maternal Instincts

            12. A Good Day

            13. The Way

            14. Endgame

            15. Ides of March

            16. Fallen Angel

            17. Chakram

            18. Legacy

            19. The Abyss

            20. When Fates Collide



            Notes: If I picked wisely, this should work as a complete 20 episode

            version of the entire series for someone who'd never seen a single

            episode. Notice I've left out Eve, the Twilight of the Gods, the 

time

            jump stuff, Varia's Amazons, the death and reappearance of Gab

            between "Sacrifice II" and "A Family Affair", and much more. I've

            also left out some personal top favorites like "The Price", "The 

Debt

            I&II", "Crusader" and more. I couldn't bear to leave out "A Day in

            the Life", despite being a stand-alone, because I think it's a vital

            depiction-of-the-relationship-in-the-aftermath-of-"The Quest"

            episode.


            Which 20 would you choose?


            ========================================================

            9) Polls


            An idea was discussed among the Xine staff about making the past

            issues of the Xine into newsletter style, hardcopies. This was done

            in limited number for the Pasadena con. We would like to know if our

            readers would be interested in hard copies of the archived issues. 

If

            hard copies were made and sold, the proceeds would go to charity.

            Please go to the poll and put in your vote. NOTE: If you voted 

before

            this issue was published, you will have to vote again.


            Xine Poll: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xenaexine/message/1>


            Only Xine subscribers can vote on this poll, but if you read the 

Xine

            and are not a subscriber you can send your vote directly to Lady

            Adrell at editor@... <mailto:editor@...>


            =====================

            A WHOOSH POLL


            Regarding the Xena series finale (both parts), were you [choose your

            preference, and only one!]:


            1) "Surprised and entertained"

            2) "Disappointed"

            3) "You want to "Cut the cord"... NOW!


            This poll has been extended to July 20, 2001 due to the requests 

from

            international Xena fans. The results will be released in the August

            issue of "Whoosh! "


            "Whoosh!" Poll: <http://whoosh.org>


            ========================================================

            10) Feedback


            "Bacchae and Lady Adrell,


            Thank you both for sharing your sincere, personal, and heartfelt

            thoughts in looking back on the series that has meant so much to

            those of us who came to love it.


            The Joseph Campbell quotes, read with the Xena ring trilogy in mind,

            were illuminating.


            Bacchae, glad that you were able to get to "Destiny" and "The Quest"

            in your subtext reviews in time for XWP's end. These are both superb

            episodes, and probably my favorite back-to-back pairing of episodes

            in the whole series. "Destiny" is indeed powerful in its look at the

            development of Xena's psychology, the grief of Gabrielle, and the

            beautiful, gorgeous direction of Rob Tapert--much better directing

            than he exhibited in the series finale, "A Friend in Need". And "The

            Quest": What a perfect blending of first-rate characterization,

            drama, action, romance, and humor--and what a monumental episode in

            the development of the Xena/Gabrielle love story. I am always

            impressed at how well so many of the series recurring characters are

            employed so perfectly in this episode. Bruce Campbell is indeed

            terrific in this--funny, but with a subtlety to his performance that

            goes far beyond just the comedy. The Iolaus/Gabrielle shared

            hurt/comfort scene at the beginning I've always thought marvelous

            too. And as for Xena/Gabrielle heartfelt, tender and romantic

            moments--this episode is as good as they come.


            It was good to be reminded of two such marvelous and moving episodes

            from the show's glorious past, at a time when we were given a series

            finale, "A Friend in Need", that was so incredibly incoherent,

            contrived, and disappointing.


            Peace and love to Xena fans everywhere."

            --Fluffsterbrian



            If you have any comments, suggestions for content, or articles to

            submit to this Xine, then please contact Lady Adrell at

            editor@... <mailto:editor@...>


            (We are accepting submissions for featured articles. Send to above

            address.)


            ========================================================

            11) PRIVACY/NO SPAM POLICY!


            NO SPAMMING OR LIST SHARING!

            You can rest assured that your subscription email address will be

            kept in the strictest confidence. We do not divulge, nor make

            available to any third party, our subscription list. Your privacy is

            paramount to us! Therefore, it receives the respect it deserves!


            ========================================================

            12) Subscribe/Unsubscribe Information


            If this Xine was forwarded to you and you would like to receive your

            own free copy; you can subscribe at <http://www.xenaexine.f2s.com> 

or

            send a blank email to: xenaexine-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            <mailto:xenaexine-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>


            PLEASE NOTE: You are receiving The Xena E-Xine because you 

subscribed

            at <http://www.xenaexine.f2s.com>, or you requested to be added to

            our subscriber list.


            To unsubscribe, send a blank e-mail to xenaexine-

            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:xenaexine-

            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com>


            ========================================================

            13) Credits


            The Xena E-Xine Staff:

            Chief Editor/Head Reporter: Lady Adrell

            Editor/Head Writer: Bacchae2

            Assistant Editor/Research: Cindy

            Researcher/Writer: Sue

            Writer: ArdentTly

            FanFic Critic: Staff

            Website Analyst: Staff

            Episode Guides: Bacchae2


            ========================================================

            14) Archives


            If you've missed out on previous issues, you can still find them

            online at <http://www.xenaexine.f2s.com/archive.html>


            ========================================================

            15) DISCLAIMER

            Though hearts have been found in many other places around the world,

            apparently San Francisco is the best place to find yours. We do not

            support nor deny these claims.


            ========================================================

            You have permission to forward this to other people, and by all

            means, please do.


            The contents of this E-Xine may be copied, reproduced, or freely

            distributed for all nonprofit purposes without the consent of the

            author as long as the author's name and contact information are

            included, unless where otherwise stated. Example: Reproduced with

            permission from Lady Adrell or said author.


            All contents Copyright © 2001 The Xena E-Xine, except where

            indicated

            otherwise. All rights reserved worldwide. All trademarks are the

            property of their respective owners.


            ========================================================

            THANKS FOR READING!

            ========================================================









       

          

            Up Thread | Message Index | View Source | Unwrap Lines Message 2 of 

            11  < Previous Message  |  Next Message > 

             Message #   Search:     


      YAHOO! SPONSOR RESULTS

      Xena DVD Collection-Official Site - Exclusive offer. Free shipping. Get 

      all 6 seasons of Xena in a complete DVD collection for only $199.99. Save 

      60%. Each complete season DVD set also available for only $29.99-$39.99.

      www.xenacatalog.com 

      Xena Warrior Princess Season Two DVD - Only $41.59. Save big on over 

      24,000 DVD and VHS movies. Buy new and Certified Previously Viewed Dvds at 

      clearance prices. Overstock.com, your online outlet.

      www.overstock.com 





      Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

      Privacy Policy - Copyright/IP Policy - Terms of Service - Guidelines - 

Help

        


Popular posts from this blog

Xena E-Xine Volume 3, Issue 3 Lori Lake Interview Issue, XWP Uber Fanfic Bard

Xena E-Xine Volume 2, Issue 11 Temora Interview Issue, XWP Fanfic Bard

Xena E-Xine Volume 3, Issue 1 The Virtual Seasons